Why Choose Linux?
Here are just a few reasons why you should choose Linux:
- Since Linux is based on the stable UNIX operating system, it inherits that stability and
reliability. Our Linux servers have uptimes in the MONTHS.
- Linux is open-source, which means the source code is readily available to anyone who wants
it. Since the source code available, thousands of developers all over the world are able to contribute and improve Linux. As a result, security
patches and new drivers come out quickly, sometimes in less than a day. This insures a
very stable operating system and high uptime for your network operations.
- You can download Linux software for free from
the Internet at Real Time Enterprisesī local mirror or CDs can be purchased from distribution vendors for as little as $40.
- Linux can run on PC-based hardware. This means itīs easy to add disk space or memory. AND, some services will run very well on
a P1 with 64MB RAM, which you probably have collecting dust at your office.
- Many studies have proven that on equal hardware, Linux is several times faster than Windows
NT. In our own experience a Linux fileserver running Samba was at least 10 times faster than
a Windows NT server and the NT server had faster, better hardware!